Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Childhood calls.

I came home this weekend to re-pot my sunflower saplings, and now the weekend is gone. It's gone by so fast, probably because it was amazing, and amazing weekends are always far too short.

On Friday, I went around looking at apartments for the Fall, and I think I've settled on one. It's called Woodcreek Apartments, and when I toured it, I fell in love with its quaint charm and roomy apartments. The concept of having a place to myself in just a few months is unbelievably thrilling. The only thing I'm worried about is taking Peach there. I don't know how she'll handle the move, but I'm sure everything will work itself out.

Saturday morning, my dad and I had a HUGE brunch at The Egg & I, one of my favourite restaurants in the Tomball area. I just love em. After that, we went to Wal-mart to purchase ingredients for a new dish I wanted to make: Creamy Rice Casserole. I saw it on the Food Network show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate", and the recipe sounded simple enough. With ingredients in hand, we went next door to Dollar Tree to find a watering can to properly water my sunflower, but we couldn't find one so we settled on a spray bottle. While I was there, I bought a new pot for my sunflower. Why not?... It was only a dollar. And since I was at a dollar store, or any store for that matter, anyone who knows me knows that I bought several unnecessary items. I bought a bubble set and a huge bottle of Arizona sweet tea. Hey, that's not so bad. I could've done worse, don't you think?

The bubbles and sweet tea weren't a complete waste. I spent the afternoon in the backyard blowing bubbles and watching Snapu chase after them. It was a gorgeous sunny day, just breezy enough to keep my bubbles afloat until they burst mid-air. My dad filled two glasses with ice and we downed the sweet tea in no time. After my bubble supply was exhausted, it was already 4:30 in the afternoon. Time to prepare the casserole. My dad did most of the work, but I got to dice the poblano peppers and mix the cream sauce. The casserole was delicious. That recipe gets my stamp of approval, for sure. My mom brought home rotisserie chicken, and it was a complete meal with enough leftovers for lunch the next day.

This morning, I woke up early -- "early" meaning 9:40 a.m. -- and woke my dad up so that we could make breakfast. I recently learned how to poach eggs through a Youtube tutorial... dorky, right? But I wanted to try it, so my dad and I poached eggs for the very first time. It was rather successful, and pretty much tasted awesome. My dad made his famous french toast, and I poached three eggs: one for me, one for my dad, and one for my mom. It was a fun breakfast, and one that I was pretty proud of. Probably because I helped, which is a big deal, because I am a goner when it comes to anything culinary. That's a fact.

I just came back from seeing "Alice in Wonderland" with my dad, and I really liked it. It was pretty graphic at times, which seemed out-of-place in what I thought was going to be a children's movie but turned out to be anything but. The acting was tremendous, Helena Bonham Carter was completely adorable and Johnny Depp was so loveable and complex.

Anyway, I had a great weekend and spent oodles of quality time with my dad, which is always a good thing. I'm now headed downstairs for my dinner, then am heading back to Huntsville where I belong. Ooh by the way, the Waco trip is on again, and I hope it stays that way this time. However, a lot can change between now and this coming weekend. Fingers crossed.

Love ya.

0 comments: